We sometimes place one noun in front of another noun or adjective in front of a noun and several other types of combinations that will give more precise information about that person or thing. For example, we can combine the noun car with another noun park that works as a single unit, i.e., car park; this means a car park is a place where we park cars. This combination of car and park made a new noun, car park, called a compound noun.
Definition of Compound Noun
Examples of Compound Nouns
Compound nouns consist of a single word are a bathroom, tablecloth, toothbrush, bedroom, etc.
Compound nouns consist of two separate words are waste paper, water bottle, dining room, etc.
Compound nouns separated by a hyphen are father-in-law, check-in, window-cleaner, etc.
How to Form a Compound Noun?
There are some ways in which these combinations can be used.
4. The second noun is made of the material express by the first noun.
Noun + Noun
Sometimes the possessive form of the first noun is used in a compound noun when the first noun is the user of the thing expressed in the second noun or when the first noun is the producer of the item described in the second noun.
a baby’s bedroom (baby is the user of the second noun bedroom)
a women’s clinic
goat’s milk (goat is the producer of the milk)
Ing- form + Noun or Adjective + Noun and Gerund + Noun
Rules of Making Plural of Compound Nouns
|Bus Stop||Bus Stops|
|Bus Driver||Bus Drivers|
|Summer Party||Summer Parties|
|Dining room||Dining rooms|
Compound Nouns Examples in Sentences
- Do you need a water bottle?
- Their home has four bedrooms.
- They play football today.
- She has a collection of teapots.
- Did you install this software on your computer?
- Could you clean the blackboard, please?
- I grow a lot of vegetables in my greenhouse.
- They always eat breakfast early in the morning.
- She has cleaned the washing machine.
- I asked to be put on their mailing list.
- The workmen set out at sunset for a night’s shift.
- The dormice often come out at night.
- 700 mm is the average annual rainfall in our region.